Search This Blog

February 2, 2016

Michelle Miles: Creative Pursuits

I taught myself how to cross-stitch over a decade ago when I was young(er) and single. I discovered it was a relatively inexpensive hobby I could do on weekends when I was broke and had to stay home (i.e., I couldn’t go party with my friends). One year, I started stitching projects in January and made something for every lady in my family. It was a huge undertaking but I got it all done and everyone loved their gifts.

When my son was small, I stopped stitching because needles, small beads and floss don’t go well with a toddler. ;) But I picked it up off and on over the years. A couple of years ago I discovered these great kits for Christmas ornaments with beads. I thought I’d give them a try. Turns out, I really liked making them. Back in December, I ordered more kits and decided to try my hand at a Santa face stitched on perforated paper. I’d never stitched on that before but I actually liked it. It’s sometimes easier than stitching on linen or Aida cloth.

Anyway… Here is the result.
I think he came out super cute. And now I want to make the rest in the series of these Santa faces. I find I like these smaller projects because I can get them done in a week or so and it makes me feel accomplished. :D

The thing I discovered about stitching is it seems to help me focus on writing when it’s time to sit down and write. I’m not sure why that is – maybe because I’m using a different part of the brain and it allows that other creative side to rest and regenerate. Who knows. At any rate, I’m happy to be stitching again and plan to purchase more kits.

Do you have any creative pursuits? If so, what are they?

5 comments:

Cathy McElhaney said...

I make Dream Catchers...I have for many years and I like them because you can see the results immediately and have that feeling of accomplishment. I have made some Christmas ornament ones, some Pittsburgh Steeler ones, fall themed & Halloween ones along with traditional ones. It's rather relaxing, but I can't do them when the kids are around...especially when wrapping the rings because I cannot stop to break up a fight, get them something to eat (they eat CONSTANTLY! lol)or clean up a spill!
I also taught myself to crochet. I tried knitting, but crocheting is easier for me.

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Michelle! I've often pontificated on my needlepoint and embroidery. I HAVE to do it because I like making things for myself and others. I have Christmas projects already lined up, two pillows in the works, and want to make needlepoint Christmas ornaments. Sounds like an overachiever. LOL.

I love your Santa and he looks awesome.

Kathy Ivan said...

Your Santa is adorable! I haven't done any handcraft stuff in years because my eyesight is getting poorer. Although I can crochet and do other stuff, it was never something I HAD to do. I could put it down and never pick it up again. I started more projects that never got finished...

But I do understand about using a different part of your brain when you're doing them, and that it makes the creative process more open or something. Great blog post! But it still doesn't make me want to di out the crochet hooks. LOL

Unknown said...

Hi my friend,

I love that Santa he came out super cute! My passion has always been drawing horses and painting. Right now I have been into coloring on the adult coloring books.

Phyllis said...

I really like your Santa Claus. He's so cute. I used to do the cross stitch about twenty or so years ago, then I branched into painting, wreath making and I'm pretty much staying with simple crocheting and jewelry making. I so enjoy the bead weaving to make intricate jewelry pieces. Keep up the good work!